Thursday, March 1, 2012

Discussion #2 Reflection

Since I missed today because I was sick, I read over the Cyber Team's chat and so my reflection is based on their discussion.
I agree with Syver that fitting in is a really important theme in Animal Dreams. I'm not quite sure yet how this actually fits into a thematic statement but I feel that the author is trying to say something about it. Maybe, Kingsolver is saying that to find yourself, you have to find how you fit in with your community. Actually, this could work. For example, Codi has all of these dysfunctional relationships with her father, Grace community members, and others. But when she is able to find her place with others, like how she helps the Bitch and Stitch Club and she allows herself to love Loyd, she ends up becoming more at peace with herself and come to terms with who she is. Another example of her finding out how she fits in with her community is how she discovers her relation to the Gracella sisters and that her mother and father were actually from Grace. I think that you could also use Hallie as an example of someone who has found how she fits in and so she has found herself and is happy. For example, she fits into society as an activist and so she knows who she is and how to make herself happy. Her happiness is shown in many of the letters she sends Codi. If I use this, I'll need to cite Syver.

No comments:

Post a Comment