Saturday, April 7, 2012

Meter and Rhyme Witness Poem

Somebody That I Used to Know - Gotye

Now and then I think of when we were together
Like when you said you felt so happy you could die
Told myself that you were right for me
But felt so lonely in your company
But that was love and it's an ache I still remember

But you didn't have to cut me off
Make out like it never happened and that we were nothing
And I don't even need your love
But you treat me like a stranger and I feel so rough
No you didn't have to stoop so low
Have your friends collect your records and then change your number
I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just somebody that I used to know

Rhyme: ABCCA, ABAACDCC

Sometimes family can push you to the limit
Like when they ask too many questions at one time
You imagine you could live in peace
If you could just collect your things and leave
But that is really just a dream that's just you kidding 

But it wouldn't ever be the same
Without family you'd never 'mount to nothing
Oh yea I wouldn't trade a thing
For the family from which I came
No you don't know what it's like to be
'Lone and trying not to end up in the jail or worse
With your parents you will see
In their thoughts you will forever be.

Explanation:
In this poem, I wanted to express the importance of a family as a strong base that you can build your life on, even though they can be hard to live with at times. The song that I scanned had an ABCCA rhyming pattern for the verse and an ABAACDCC pattern for the chorus. I used this to place important words such as peace and leave in rhyming positions and also so these ideas could be connected. My volta in the poem occurs at the beginning of the chorus because the poem changes from seeing the negatives of a family to seeing the many positives of having a good family.

2 comments:

  1. Good poem. I like that your poem had the same rhythm and rhyme scheme...I feel like it's pretty impressive you were able to do it that smoothly. I can also connect with your feelings and agree w/ the conclusion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this poem, at first its about how annoying a family can be and then it says without one life would be pretty bad. It reads very fluidly and is not a pain to try to find the meter

    ReplyDelete